Sunday, July 21, 2013

Installation



Today I was able to spend pretty much all day working on cleaning, sorting and preparing 2 truck loads of plants for the newly cleared section of Bosworth. This is no easy task but actually rewarding and educational too. You can study the growth habits and root systems this way. No shattering flora discoveries, but I am more in tune with how some agave have their own way of doing things. 

Here is a list of the Agaves that went in: 
americana marginata
chiapensis
ghiesbreghtii
lophantha
macroacantha
medio picta
potatorum
salmiana
salmiana butterfingers
shawii
striata
xylonacantha
plus  three others I have yet to ID.

 


This is the bed closest to Diamond and I wanted great different varieties of shoes and colors as Agave vary widely. I hope I have succeeded in this- anyway, I can only work with the materials that come in. I will have to update this picture, because when I went back to water, I changed the position of the A. salmiana butterfingers to the space in the foreground in this picture. NOTE: the picture on the right shows the new position as of 7/26/13. This way it makes room for an Agave franzosinii I will be taking out of my yard because I want the room for other more compact growers. I will also need to make a concerted effort of placing the rocks I got from Cheri in Walnut Creek.

This section could really be called a demonstration garden based on the definition of the definition of the term. Dave's Garden says: "A garden that is established to demonstrate different methods of gardening or different plant materials (or different varieties of the same plants."

No comments:

Post a Comment